Tuesday, May 8, 2018

May 8, 2018


Reminders:
  • Thursday, May 10 is the Show Your Voice Movement during both seminars. Attendance is optional for students. 
  • Sunday, May 13
    • Happy Mother's Day Mary, Sheri, & Mary Kaye (and all moms!)
  • Senior Prom Friday, May 18
  • Senior BBQ Monday, May 21
  • Tuesday, May 22 Graduation Assembly and Res-Punzel
  • May 23-25 Final Exams *see schedule below
    • If one of your students is absent from your final exam, please give a copy of the exam and answer key to Kristine Owens
  • Thursday, May 24 12:00pm Faculty luncheon
  • May 29-31 are work days, as needed, for faculty
    • May 29 Senior breakfast, graduation practice, and exam make-up day. Senior grades are due by 9:00am this day, as well. 
    • Freshmen-Junior grade verification due by 9:00am on May 30
      • Joe is exploring digital options for verification, and will let everyone know if they need to come in that day
    • May 31 Graduation at Holy Name Cathedral 
The following is the schedule for semester exams:

Wednesday, May 23
8:30-9:30 period 1
9:45-10:45 period 3

Thursday, May 24
8:30-9:30 period 2
9:45-10:45 period 4
11:00-12:00 period 6

Friday, May 25
8:30-9:30 period 5
9:45-10:45 period 7

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful year! I'm grateful to work with such an excellent Student Services team. 

Also, a huge thank you to Mary Bridich for all of her very hard work and friendship during her years at Res. We have all learned so much from you. We're so excited for you to be able to be home with your babies, but will miss you and hope you come around next year!

    Practicum:
    • Trauma Day at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital was a great experience. Enjoy some photos from the trip:









    Academic Support:
    • Sign up's for final exam alternate test sites will be posted this Thursday. Bri & Sam will get names of the students signed up to teachers by next Wednesday afternoon. 
    • Bri & Sam are finishing up transition meetings for incoming freshmen at their grade schools. We have received great feedback from the grade schools and families regarding this process. 
    • Bri & Sam are proposing an Understanding and Experiencing Disabilities club for next year. The club is meant to provide students the opportunity to gain a broad understanding of learning, physical and developmental disabilities. The students in the club will acquire skills of communication, respect, and understanding for people with a range of abilities.
    College Counseling:
    • Thank you to everyone for your help & support on signing day! It was so much fun to see the girls in their shirts and celebrate their commitment to school. Check out the pictures on the Res Facebook.
    • Sophomore College 101 has ended.
    • Melanie Zuniga was just awarded with The HEAR Foundation Scholarship, a scholarship worth $20,000, based on academic achievement and commitment to community! Congratulations, Melanie!
    • The seniors have been awarded over 17 million dollars in scholarships and grants!
    • Save the Date: Sept. 11, 2018 will be our annual College Fair with Notre Dame

    Half of the group that went to Northwestern for a college visit. It was a great experience for the girls to see the campus and learn about Northwestern's academic programs. 

    General Counseling:
    • Sheri attended Ellysa's Mission at Regina HS to learn more about how the program works for next year. This program will run at Resurrection first semester.'
    • Sheri and Mary have completed the Junior check ins! The Juniors seem prepared and excited to start to college search!
    • AP testing is underway. All counselors are assisting with the proctoring. 
    • The Lunch Bunch/social skills group is almost done. With two sessions left, they have covered such topics as social cues, body language, first impressions, self confidence, and much more. Sheri and Mary will be taking the group members to Dairy Queen to practice the skills they have learned.
    • Summer school advisement and end of the year transfers are underway. 

    STUDENT HIGHLIGHT
    Emma Wood '19

    Emma Wood at the Family Birthplace with her mentor. 

    Q: Why did you decide to take Practicum? 
    A: I decided to take Practicum based on the positive experiences I had heard about from girls who had previously taken the course. I thought the experiences sounded unique and interesting and that this would be a great opportunity. I also took Practicum because I was undecided about potential educational and career paths that I might be interested in pursuing. I figured this would be a great way to find out what I like and get some cool experiences.

    Q: Which careers are you shadowing this semester? 
    A: This semester I primarily shadowed a Labor & Delivery nurse and a Special Care nurse. I also shadowed a speech pathologist, a preschool teacher, and I observed in a child care center. This semester, I specifically focused on jobs that are related to working with babies and young children.

    Q: What experience/rotation have you enjoyed the most? 
    A: The experience that I enjoyed the most was having the pleasure of assisting in the delivery of a baby. Last semester, when I took Exploring Careers, I was fortunate to witness a birth on my very first placement. After that, I was hooked. This semester I had, possibly, a once in a lifetime experience of actually helping to deliver a baby. Since I have spent a lot of time observing in the Family Birthplace at Res, it was an amazing experience to be able to actually help.

    Q: What have your learned about yourself and your interests this semester in Practicum? 
    A: From this semester in Practicum I learned about my true love for kids and babies and my fascination with the miracle of childbirth. I know some people cannot even think about that without squirming, but for me it was truly the most amazing experience.

    Q: What advice do you have for students who participate in the Practicum Program?
    A: Some advice I have would be to take full advantage of every opportunity that is offered to you. I think that is what allowed me to have the most rewarding experiences. If I said "no" to something when I was at a placement, I may not have the stories I have now. I think my main suggestion would be to take advantage of every aspect of the class and every opportunity that is presented to you.

    Q: Any other comments or insights?

    A: Due to this experience, I am now interested in a field of study that I had not previously considered.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    May 8, 2018

    Reminders: Thursday, May 10 is the Show Your Voice Movement during both seminars. Attendance is optional for students.  Sunday,...